I’ve been on Keto for a while now and I can say that it is working perfectly for me. Part of the reason why it is working out well is that I’ve always treated my Keto lifestyle journey as a Love Affair. A serious and sometimes complicated Love Affair. And just like any relationship, we have had our own ups and downs but what’s important is, at the end of the day, when everything has been said and done, you will always go back to where you started and just remember why you are in on that relationship in the first place. It’s just like when you start seeing someone new, you need to adjust and get used to letting that person into your life and do your best to work things out.
At this point, you might be on the verge of changing your ways too and embracing the Ketogenic Lifestyle but you do not know where to start. You might be wary of having to adjust to a new lifestyle and letting go of your old ways. Don’t fret. That is perfectly normal as in any relationship. I’ve been there and done that when I was also starting out. If you’re still half-hearted on whether to start your very own Love Affair with Keto or not, I will be more than happy to share my own tips on how to ease in your lifestyle with Keto, and maybe, just maybe, help you make a better decision on this one. So here are a few things that helped me with my Keto Love Affair:
- Prepare yourself mentally, spiritually and emotionally. Just be prepared. Do a mental inventory of your current status and determine what you want out of this relationship that you are about to start with Keto. Have the proper mindset and decide to be invested no matter what. Do not think a Keto Lifestyle as just another fad diet that you will casually date and then leave. Do not plan on failing. Do not even think of doing a yoyo diet. Just don’t. One way to start this right is to have the right thinking that Keto is not just a diet,it is a Lifestyle, a long term relationship if you will. You should live Keto, talk Keto, eat Keto and breathe Keto. Trust the process and let it change you to be a better, healthier version of yourself.
- Do a background check. Ok, this may be a bit of an extreme when you are dating but seriously, when you really like someone and you want things to work out, it pays to know. When you are just about to make a drastic change and enter a relationship, as with Keto, you should do your best to know it from inside and out especially the Food and Drinks that you may or may not eat with Keto. In addition to that, you should also know the low carb alternative foods that you may intake in those rare occasions that you might not have a Keto approved choice.
- Treat Keto like your Marriage. Ok, again it may seem a bit of extreme to be thinking about marriage too soon when you are just about to start a relationship. But at least it would help you to be more devoted and to be committed on this for the long haul. And most importantly, as with any relationship or marriage, DO NOT ever Cheat unless its planned! Because when you do, you may kick your body out of Ketosis and you will just go right back to where you were before, all of those efforts and work gone, in the blink of an eye. Do your best to resist temptation and be faithful to the process at all times. Even when no one is looking.
- Introduce Keto to your loved ones. Let them be acquainted to your newfound commitment. Make your family and friends aware of the Lifestyle change that you are making because of Keto. Sometimes, your family and friends are your greatest temptation. Letting them know that you are on Keto and explaining to them what it is about may help them to understand the choices that you are going to be making like going on a rain check when an officemate invites you for Taco Tuesday or your mom suddenly decides to cook your favorite Butter Tarts and you’ll have to pass. In fact, if you’re lucky enough, they may go as far as adjusting their lifestyle and food choices for you which would make maintaining Keto lifestyle so much easier.
- Just like in preparation for marriage, get acquainted to be more domesticated. With the Keto Diet, you will find yourself wanting more to eat at home and cook your own Food. In this way, you will have more control over what goes into your food and you’ll be assured that your meal is Keto-approved. Again, treat this as part of your married life with Keto by honing your cooking skills and learning how to make a variety of tasty Keto meals to keep you and your taste buds from being fed up eating the same meal repeatedly.
- A relationship is not all rainbows and butterflies. Be prepared to weather incoming storms. With Keto, this can be attributed to overcoming the dreaded Keto Flu. While Keto Flu may or may not happen depending on your Body’s reaction to the Diet, it is best to be prepared for the worse. The symptoms of Keto Flu may include temporary bouts of weakness, dizziness, and headaches. It can even bring you flu-like effects like fever and cold. Thus, you should pick carefully the timing of your start date with Keto. Refrain from starting this diet when you know that you will have a crazy week at work, packed with meetings, presentations or deadlines. Pick a relatively slow day when you will not be too pressured and will have the luxury to minimize your body movements, mental and physical activities. Remember to hydrate and replace electrolytes and salt when start a Keto Lifestyle to lessen the effects of the keto flu.